Ruperra Castle was built in 1626 by Sir Thomas Morgan, who was knighted by King James 1st. It was a typical Jacobean courtier’s house, an example of the ?~Great Rebuilding’ of the 16th and 17th Centuries. King Charles 1st stayed there in 1645 raising support after the Battle of Naseby. A deer park was recorded in 1684 when the Duke of Beaufort feasted there and there were viewing points through the trees and beautiful grassed rides up to the summer house where the family took tea at this time.
It was one of the first of the 'mock' castles to be built in Wales. It later was absorbed into the Tredegar House Estate and became home, especially in the 19th century, to the heir of the estate. Godfrey Charles Morgan, 2nd Baron, 1st Viscount Tredegar, who was a captain in the 17th Lancers during the Charge of the Light Brigade at the Battle of Balaklava in the Crimean War, was born at Ruperra.
The building has been in a derelict state since the Second World War, when it was gutted in a fire while British soldiers were stationed there. It has now been colonised by bats.
Ruperra Castle, a Grade ll* Listed Building and Scheduled Ancient Monument, is described as “a unique Jacobean castellated manor house” which stands in 160 acres of historic parkland. It has been overgrown with vegetation and deteriorating for over 50 years, and has been colonised by bats.
Moves to halt the deterioration of a historic landmark in South Wales by converting the ruins into nine residential apartments have been subject to opposition from the Ruperra Castle Preservation Trust.
t: 01633 894255
Mon - Sat:
Mon - Sat:
The Ruperra Arms
Exit M4 J28 onto A48 towards A467 Newport/Risca
Rbt: - 1st exit onto A4072/A467
Rbt: - 1st exit onto A468
The Ruperra is straight ahead as you drive.
12:00 - 23:00
12:00 - 24:00
12:00 - 15:00
17:00 - 21:00
12:00 - 16:00
12:00 - 17:00
© The Ruperra Arms 2015 :: Design by: Liberty business services